Ground Rules for Must Love Yarn
Our goal is to always have a place where people feel comfortable to come and share their passion for the fiber arts. We always want everyone to feel included and happy to be part of knit group and all activities at Must Love Yarn and we think these ground rules will help to remind us all of our responsibilities to each other.
- Be Inclusive
- We welcome and support people of all backgrounds and identities.
- This includes but is not limited to members of any sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, culture, national origin, social and economic class, educational level, color, immigration status, sex, age, size, family status, political belief, religion, or mental and physical ability.
- If new members attend knit group, please do your best to welcome them and help them to feel included.
- Be Considerate
- Please keep personal matters personal.
- Topics such as divorce, medical procedures, family discourse and other topics along these lines can be very personal and not all group members are comfortable hearing about or talking about such topics.
- Avoid conversations pertaining to religion and politics.
- We all have different views, beliefs & values, and religious and political topics can be divisive and disruptive to knit group.
- Be Respectful
- We won't all agree all the time, but disagreement is no excuse for disrespectful behavior. We will all experience frustration from time to time, but we cannot allow that frustration become personal attacks. An environment where people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive or creative one.
- Choose Your Words Carefully
- Be kind to others. Do not insult or put down others. Harassment and exclusionary behavior aren't acceptable. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Threats of violence; discriminatory jokes and language; personal insults, especially those using racist or sexist terms; advocating for, or encouraging, any of the behavior on this list.
- Don’t be disruptive
- Knit group and the yarn shop is often a place of respite, refuge and relaxation from everyday life.
- Please be mindful of the volume at which you are speaking and let everyone have a chance to speak about a topic if they so choose.
- Please make and take all phone calls outside. Calls are disruptive to the harmony of knit group & classes and are disruptive to customers and employees of Must Love Yarn.
- Knit group is family friendly, but please be respectful that many adults who attend knit group do so to have a couple hours of “me time” or “adult time.” If you come to knit group with children, they should be supervised at all times and not disruptive to other group members, shop employees or customers.
- Be Mindful
- Please remember that you are attending a knit group/class/event that is hosted by a small business. We are so happy to have you joining us in this wonderful community, but please be respectful to your surroundings. Please keep these things in mind:
- Knit group/classes/events occur during the hours which the shop is open for business. We often have customers shopping in the store during this time. Please be mindful of all of the above points to ensure that our customers have a pleasant shopping experience.
- Please pick up after yourself. We do not employ a cleaning crew to maintain our space. Employees all share equally in the cleaning chores that must be attended to. Cleaning up any food/drink spills right away as well as placing garbage in the proper receptacles upon leaving will greatly reduce how much time we have to spend cleaning and will allow us more time to be creating great new programs.
- If you see something that needs attending to, please let an employee know. This can be things such as a need for paper towels or toilet paper refills to clogged drains and other maintenance issues.
Failure to follow or accept any of the above ground rules may result in the offending member being asked to not participate in knit group and/or the dissolution of knit group or in the case of classes/events, removal from class/event.